Sensor for drilling applications
Sensing technologies are a crucial part of the Energy market, especially when it comes to the Oil and Gas markets, with accelerometers being the most widely used sensors across these industries, featuring various applications in drilling that range from measuring inertia (directionnal drilling), vibration to the monitoring of low-frequency seismic signals, angular tilt and shocks. Since the Energy market is highly adaptible, MEMS accelerometers are enjoying an increase in popularity, as their reliability and accuracy under harsh conditions.
The MEMS sensor revolution
MEMS sensors are replacing the well-established, expensive and fragile electromechanical devices and accelerometers made out of quartz used in high-end Energy applications due to them being robust devices that offer the same or an increased level of performance at a lower cost, a lower power consumption and a smaller size. The success of Colibrys high-end MEMS accelerometers in this market derives from the sensor’s ability to function properly under extreme temperature up to 175°C, under high vibrations or strong shocks and , though, insure a long bias stability.
Specific application for MEMS accelerometers in drilling
- Precision tilt measurement in Down borehole MWD (measurement while drilling) and logging
- Inertial measurement within pipeline monitoring PIGs
- Wirelin- logging
- Shallow/Deep subsurface geoseismic imaging and reservoir monitoring
- Structural integrity monitoring – used in oil rigs, dams, wind turbines, nuclear plants
- Platform stabilization, tilt measurements
- Preventive industrial maintenance through vibration measurements
- Guidance and localization independent of GPS signals – mostly used in mining operations or in underwater Remote Observation Vehicles (ROVs)
Colibrys MEMS accelerometers for drilling applications
- TS1000T – The new TS1000T MEMS high temperature inclinometer is specifically designed for drilling application. It offers the highest Bias performance stability with shock resistance (1500g), as well as the lowest non-linearity and noise in the MEMS marketplace and temperature range up 175°C.
- MS9000 – is a high performance capacitive MEMS with a low g range developed for precision tilting systems in Energy, with a dynamic range of ±1 g (±90°) and working temperature 125°C. it is ideal candidate for borehole survey _ In place tilt sensors, structural inclination survey – dams…
- VS1000 – for vibration monitoring and class C- 90db Seismic imaging.